Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:51:07 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Elisabeth,

It's nice to have you back in this discussion list.

Perhaps one of the reasons why MINC-produced tables
haven't appeared on the IANA list is "feuding" between
the parties (see
http://www.minc.org/files/CEO%20Letter.pdf) and
dissatisfaction with ICANN's handling of
internationalized domain names.

Such dissatisfaction is apparently not limited to
MINC...
Consider the following excerpt:

Andrzej Bartosiewicz, head of DNS at of NASK, which
administers Poland's .pl ccTLD, said he will no longer
talk to ICANN about internationalized domain names.
IDNs are internet addresses that use non-ASCII, and
therefore non-English character sets.

He said he will instead look to the ITU's
Telecommunications Standardization Bureau, known as
ITU-T, as its standards authority on IDNs.

NASK, according to Bartosiewicz, had a bad experience
with ICANN when it tried to sell domain names using
character sets such as Arabic, a completely different
alphabet, and German, primarily ASCII but with some
non-ASCII characters.

"From my point of view ICANN has no competency to deal
with IDNs," he told ComputerWire at ICANN's meeting in
Argentina. "I don't plan to discuss IDNs with ICANN
any more. It does not have the skills to deal with
standardization."

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=E3491C79-AB6C-4F02-A2ED-5948B98276FF

--- Elisabeth Porteneuve