Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet
  • From: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:38:56 EST
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So you are saying the U.S. Government has done it so well that it should
continue to do it as well as it has been doing?

I am new to these discussions but I was under the impression that is the
opposite of what most on this List believe. My sense is that the folks here
believe that the U.S. Government is perceived to be arrogant and has been trying
to control an issue (The Internet) for which it has no rightful claim or
jurisdiction.

Rick Hauptman
(Serving 42 Million Californians and looking at annexing the states of  Utah
and Oregon to add to our numbers)

dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx writes:

brink·man·ship -- The practice, especially in
international  politics, of seeking advantage by
creating the impression that one is  willing and able
to push a highly dangerous situation to the  limit
rather than concede.

There are times when it is easy to  confuse
brinkmanship with arrogance.

As ultimately some  entity needs to be charged with
stewardship of the root, the question that  we should
really be asking is this:  "has the current steward
been  so derelict in its duties that a redelegation of
stewardship is  required?"

If the answer is yes, then it would be appropriate  to
list those grievances that demonstrate that said
entity has not  appropriately served as trustee, and
has in fact defaulted on its duty to  the community.

Has the steward failed to be equitable to all  groups
that request domain names?  Has the steward failed to
do a  satisfactory job of ensuring the operation of the
DNS?

As for me,  while I can find some reasons for
dissatisfaction with the current  administration of the
root, I cannot find a sufficient number of  convincing
reasons to delegate the stewardship of the root to an
entity  other than its current steward.

---  Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/USDNSprinciples_06302005.htm

http://mail.yahoo.com