Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:16:18 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

brink·man·ship -- The practice, especially in
international politics, of seeking advantage by
creating the impression that one is willing and able
to push a highly dangerous situation to the limit
rather than concede.

There are times when it is easy to confuse
brinkmanship with arrogance.

As ultimately some entity needs to be charged with
stewardship of the root, the question that we should
really be asking is this:  "has the current steward
been so derelict in its duties that a redelegation of
stewardship is required?"

If the answer is yes, then it would be appropriate to
list those grievances that demonstrate that said
entity has not appropriately served as trustee, and
has in fact defaulted on its duty to the community.

Has the steward failed to be equitable to all groups
that request domain names?  Has the steward failed to
do a satisfactory job of ensuring the operation of the
DNS?

As for me, while I can find some reasons for
dissatisfaction with the current administration of the
root, I cannot find a sufficient number of convincing
reasons to delegate the stewardship of the root to an
entity other than its current steward.

--- Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/USDNSprinciples_06302005.htm

http://mail.yahoo.com