Re: [ga] WSIS and its lack of transparency....

At 06:16 23/10/2005, rbhauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:
I can't say that I'm an expert on ICANN and ALAC issues, but I don't think I understand your dismissing of the UN option. If it's already so darn bad with the US controlling everything (and from what you and so many on these lists say it is), then how bad could it be if the UN were involved. I mean it stinks right now right...so if the UN idea failed then we'd be no worse off than we are right now. In that case I say hey Give it a Try. It can't hurt.....

Rick Hauptman

CA Democratic Party Internet Caucus
(representing 40 Million CA residents)

Rick,
If you want to know if something is important, consider what would really happen for the users if it disapeared.

1. ICANN - nothing
2. IANA - in the present situation - real problems - but the DRS we investigate will address the problem.
3. IETF - nothing but important delays, some confusion and a new aggregation of SSDO around IANA
4. Root File - nothing - the average update delay and the difference between the root file and the top zone shows that we would have full time to build a contingency plan
5. Root Servers - reduction of the network noise. Press and TV explanation on how some poorly organised people have been fooled. Some ISP with poor organisation would have to buy a PC more.
6. RIRs - depends on the States current work.
7. GA - nothing

USA controls nothing. They just bluff better. So people beleive they do and did not set-up national risk and intelligence leaks containement. The only interest of ITU is that they have no staff for it.

The joke is the confusion. You have three things involved.

1. standards. RFC. This is IETF. No one considered to transfer them to ITU-T, except IETF itself in the way they support the US globalisation strategy in opposing multilingualization. No big deal. IETF for their "internationalization" add one year delay to copy the ISO standards.

2. DNS. The DNS is controlled by the TLD Managers. ccTLDs are out of the ICANN scope since 1984.

3. IP addressing. It means to "manage" 256 entries. They may change from time to time in IPv4 and in RIRs to adapt to the lack of the network, there is no reason that national GIX be more complex than telephone. ITU is great because they understood that managing the telephone numbers worldwide called for ... no one (ICANN would use four persons full time, traveling the world). This is what makes ITU interesting: they just have that ... no one!

jfc