[ga] .int registry policy

  • To: vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] .int registry policy
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:23:13 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, chair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint,

If you don't mind, I would like to raise an old issue.

The World Intellectual Property Organization came to
us some time ago and expressed a number of concerns.
One of their laments was that under current IANA .int
registry policy, "only one registration is allowed"
for each intergovernmental organization; this policy
denies such groups the opportunity to register both
their organizational name and their organizational
acronym.

As I still fail to grasp why this policy must
necessarily be so restrictive, I would ask you to
explain the process whereby policy for the .int
registry may be changed.  As for some reason I am
unable to locate the .int registry contract with ICANN
I am not in a position to review the appropriate
procedures.

I bring this matter to your attention because the
issue appears to have been buried by Staff (as I
recall they were charged with the responsibility to
engage the community in further consultations on the
topic, yet such consultations do not appear to have
materialized).

We have an obligation to make sure that each
petitioner is given a fair hearing.  As much as I
personally loathe the intellectual property
contingent, their views appear to be supported by the
GAC and they do have a right to have their issues
properly addressed by ICANN, wouldn't you agree?

Best regards,
Danny

http://farechase.yahoo.com