Re: [ga] Re: .vu CCTLD off the air

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: .vu CCTLD off the air
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:59:37 -0700
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wsis <alt.wsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

The reasons for your and it seems Andy's inability to resolve
.vu domains could be for a number of reasons which may or
may not be related to ICANN or whomever is managing the
.vu cctld name space.  As I and others have gone over a number
of such reasons many times in the past doing so again would
seem overly redundant at this point.

That said, Stephanie is right in the evaluation that ICANN's
management of "Security and Stability" is poor and sporatic
at best, and many times as has been reported here on this
as well as other forums, total brokeness has been confirmed.
Yet to consider any UN agency to take over such a task
as ICANN now has would almost certainly invite even worse
management of the internet as corruption abounds in the UN
these days.  Although for some time the ITU has been attempting
such a coup, it has been clear and well documented that the ITU
is ill suited for such a task on a number of fronts.

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:31:48AM -0500,
>  Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 5 lines which said:
>
> > Is it just me, or has the entire .vu CCTLD disappeared from the
> > Internet?
>
> Right, no nameserver reply properly:
>
> % check_soa vu
> There was no response from FUTUNA.VANUATU.COM.vu
> EFATE.VANUATU.COM.vu is not authoritative for vu
> COLO.TO is not authoritative for vu
> There was no response from SANTO.VANUATU.COM.vu
> There was no response from NS1.TDC.TO
>
> However, if you send a message on the GA mailing list each time a TLD
> disappears, we will have a lot of traffic. Despite ICANN's claim that
> they are in charge of the "security and stability" of the Internet,
> misconfiguration of TLDs, sometimes to the point of total brokenness,
> is a very common event.
>
> At the time of this writing, ".io" fails for every non-existing
> subdomain (timeout instead of "No such domain").

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827