Re: [ga] Draft Revised IDN Guidelines: Public Comment Period

  • To: "M. Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Draft Revised IDN Guidelines: Public Comment Period
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you saying "hands off"? How do they say Laizze Faire?

"M. Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 11:53 21/09/2005, GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>* The registries will follow established authoritative language tables
>when such exist.

This is a violation of the ccTLD sovereignty as the trustees of their
national community. A total contradiction with point 4 to talk about
"language tables" and then to call for a policy based on scripts.
There can only be "Script tables". They are authoritative by the
decision of the TLD Manager.

There is a total misunderstanding of the homograph phishing. It does
not concern more IDNs than DNs. It is a result of the IDNA. IDNA is
an application level function which translates ASCII "xn--xxxx" DN
labels into ISO 10620 strings. Whatever the DN.

>* The registries will not permit the co-mingling of scripts in a domain
>label when no language table exists.

Registries have absolutely no way to do that except for SLDs where
phishing is of low interest.

>* The successor document to the current guidelines must maximize the
>ability of a registry to support IDN in all regards where it is
>reasonably needed, and must minimize the ability for the abuse of IDN
>for deceptive purposes.

This is like saying "guns are dangerous for life. Guidlines will
maximize the ability to use them to defend you home and minimise the
ability of robbers to use them in your place" and to expect this will
prevent worldwide wars.

>* Policies based on script are needed in addition to those based solely
>on language, and developing script-based policies should be an immediate
>focus of action.

DNs happen to be written. Languages are of not real interest here
except for relations with registrants (regustration form, contract,
support). A name is not related to a language. Is "jefsey.com"
French, English, Spanish .... Tables are charsets. We talk of
charsets. Relating them to a language is an error which has always
been explained.

>Following the Luxembourg ICANN meeting, a working group of registries
>with IDN experience was formed to work on a revision of the guidelines,
>to be put forth for public comment. The working group includes the
>following members:
>
>* gTLD Registry Constituency Representatives:
>Cary Karp, MuseDoma
>Pat Kane, VeriSign
>Ram Mohan, Afilias
>
>* ccNSO Representatives:
>Hiro Hotta, JPRS
>Mohammed EL Bashir, .sd Registry
>
>* ICANN Staff:
>Tina Dam

May be could we invite them on this list to help them, or we will
still be stuck in this language mess for years. Actually this mess
has a well defined pupose for avery few: to eventually delegate, out
of complexity and network load, the IANA lingual part to a consortium
which "knows" what it is talking about. I doubt it knows about this,
but it knows why and how controlling the IANA lingual aspects is
important for its members.

jfc