Re: [ga] Re: A note to Vittorio

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: A note to Vittorio
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:27:48 -0800
  • Cc: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

    Your right Danny in a flat structure can ever be meaningfngful.
However even at a local level, flat structures are  not effective
or representative.  Hence one of many of  the ALAC's flaws,
as well as most if not all of the other SO's/constituencies.  But
of course this fact or opinion is not new.

  It would and has been advisable as well as many times suggested
that an open forum for the ALAC be available to any and all
stakeholders/users, members of the ALAC or not, be provided
or otherwise available.  Yet, when suggested early on in the
ALAC's beginnings Vittorioa, Esther, Erick, and aa few other
than interim ALAC committee members were adamant
in purposefully excluding participation.  This in part has
isolated or severally restricted the ALAC, and in particular
the ALAC's committee to be and remain bias as well as
an exclusive [ Club ].

Danny Younger wrote:

>    Vittorio,
>
> Re:  You can't have a meaningful flat structure at the global level -
> I'm
> still convinced of this.
>
> Please allow me the chance to persuade you to change your view...
>
> I have taken note of the ORDIG online forum on Internet Governance
> which ran from January 13 to February 17.  This forum (a flat
> structure) had over 180 participants from 27 countries who shared
> their views on a single topic of interest.
>
> I have followed the WGIG process (another flat structure) that has
> thus far obtained 78 informed comments/papers from contributors from
> all over the planet (in addition to the 34 formal government & civil
> society comments submitted at the Plenary).
>
> I have seen the ICANN Business Constituency, the NonCommercial
> Constituency, the ISP Constituency, and the Intellectual Property
> Constituency run as flat global structures with minimal participation
> and no regional subsets.
>
> What I personally favor is a Supporting Organization for the At-Large
> within which different caucuses, parties, interest-groups can form,
> dissolve, merge.  Each issue spawns different alliances.  The nature
> of individuals is such that one should regularly expect such
> fluidity.  Associations are only temporary at best, and accrediting
> such transitory groups is folly.  It is sufficient for me if there is
> a monetary basis for membership in the SO ( I would recommend the
> equivalent of one days wages based on published statistical data for
> each country) as a demonstration of individual resolve, commitment and
> interest.
>
> Can we discuss these matters further?  Can the ALAC set up a
> discussion list so that interested participants may debate the best
> way forward for the At-Large within ICANN?  The Status Quo does not
> serve us well.
>
> Regards,
> Danny

    Pierre Abelard