Re: [ga] Re: A note to Vittorio

  • To: "J-F C. \(Jefsey\) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: A note to Vittorio
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:20:37 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jefsey,

I am proposing that we subsidize ourselves.  Each person interested in becoming a member of an at-large supporting organization would pay as his membership fee the equivalent of one day's wages -- for example, the following is a chart showing what a typical production supervisor earns in different countries/territories per day (values shown is US dollars):

$77  -- Australia
$20  -- China
$86  -- Hong Kong
$13  -- India
$11  -- Indonesia
$116 -- Japan
$24  -- Malaysia
$15 -- Philippines
$62 -- Singapore
$64  -- S.Korea
$75  -- Taiwan
$21  -- Thailand
$131 -- United States

Using this chart as an example (although you could just as easily choose some other chart), I as an American would pay US$131 for my annual membership fee in an at-large supporting organization; citizens from other countries would doubtless pay less -- for example, a Chinese citizen would pay a $20 annual fee, but in each case the amount paid is an equivalency (one day's earnings).

This approach would be fair and would not promote a digital divide.  Funds raised from membership fees would be used as they are used in other Supporting Organizations:  to support Secretariat Services, to pay for Meeting Halls (like the GNSO Amsterdam session), etc.

Best regards,
Danny

"J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 18:44 09/03/2005, Danny Younger wrote:
>It is sufficient for me if there is a monetary basis for membership in the
>SO ( I would recommend the equivalent of one days wages based on published
>statistical data for each country) as a demonstration of individual
>resolve, commitment and interest.

Are you mad? Or do you mean that you want Euro to subsidize ICANN? Or do
you mean you want us to get paid for our contributions?
Which level of wage de you consider? Give a figure for the USA.
jfc