Re: [ga] New Bind/DNS survey out

  • To: Leah G <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New Bind/DNS survey out
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:30:14 -0700
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul A Vixie <vixie@xxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Joe Baptista - New <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leah and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  It is true that a survey of this sort, being a very technically good
method are only good as the respondents.  That is why so many were
":Lame Delegations" or improperly configured servers, including
ICANN's, much to my surprise and dismay.  Hence it is more than
likely, if not a certainty, that those servers that did not answer up using
this survey method, were not running Bind 9.3 nor were configured
properly < Lame >...  And those that did < 76% >, were not running
Bind 9.3.

 After again myself running Joe Batiste's survey method, yet again
none were running Bind 9.3.  And if not doing so for a publicly
used or passed through server, than effectively none were running
Bind 9.3.  Hence leaving stakeholders/users of ISC's Bind versions
exposed to unnecessary security holes that can now be corrected
with 9.3.

  Hence this leaves the best logical conclusions to be one or more
of the following:

  1.) Bind 9.3 is not considered by the vast majority of Name Root
server operators for some reasons good or bad.

2.) Bind 9.3 is too new to be considered adequately by all properly
configured Name Root Server operators.

3.) Name Root server operators haven't been keeping up with
current upgrades < Read Laziness >

4.) ISC along with ICANN hasn't the marketing ability to aid in
the notification in an adequate manner so as to be sure all Bind
using Root Name Server operators and their management are
properly aware... Note: This one is a direct result of mismanagement
on the part of ICANN...

Leah G wrote:

> Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,
> >
> >   A new Bind/DNS survey is out.  Looks as though not many are
> > running the new 9.3 version, in fact none according to this survey.
> > Seems to many servers are misconfigured < 24+% >.  So much for
> > good security on BIND/DNS.  Much as Joe Batista predicted...
> > See: http://mydns.bboy.net/survey/
> >

> A survey is only as good as its respondents.  There are many servers
> using 9.3.  It's buggy according to the users and they consider it to be
> experimental so far (at least the ones I know).  It's probably true that
> not many are using it on critical production systems yet.
>
> --
> Leah G.
> http://forums.delphiforums.com/atlargeorg
> http://forums.delphiforums.com/domainwatch