Re: [ga] Humiliating photos are symptomatic of a greater problem

See below --

Monday, May 10, 2004, 10:14:15 PM, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HD> Let he without sin cast the first stone. Some guy said that.
Yes and he said that to a mob which was about to take a human life.
Hardly a situation even remotely similar.

Since we're into quotes, a couple other guys said this:

  "Judge the future by the past." --Patrick Henry

  "America... well knows that by once enlisting under other banners
  than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence,
  she would involve herself beyond the power of extraction, in all the
  wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and
  ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom.
  The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from
  liberty to force... She might become dictatress of the world. She
  would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit."  --John Quincy Adams

  "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big
  enough to take it all away." --Ronald Reagan

  "The natural progress of things is for government to gain ground
  and for liberty to yield." --Thomas Jefferson

  "You can fool some of the people all of the time. You can fool all
  of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people
  all of the time." --Abraham Lincoln

  "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
  nothing" --Edmund Burke

HD> Atrocities will occur and they should not. But in our world
HD> there has never been a better system and display of such openness
HD> and transparency.
Surely, you jest. You forgot the "when they are forced" part, as in
Condy Rice, Cheney, et al. There has been more secrecy and lack of
openness and transparency in the last 4 years than in the preceding 20
and I mean that collectively and not in comparative 4 year periods.

HD> Perhaps corruption should be just as open here in ICANN.
Doesn't take much, huh.

These Iraqi people are detainees. They are not necessarily terrorists
nor are they opposing troops, nor are they necessarily criminals. Put
the shoe on the other foot and think about how upset we'd be if those
were our people being treated like that. Do you remember Ross Perot's
rescue of his employees? Do you remember how upset this nation was
when several of our people were kidnapped and held hostage? Remember
the atrocities in Bosnia? How soon we forget and how quick we are to
defend and dismiss as unimportant, the same kind of vile behavior when
it is at our hand.

There used to be a time that when the United States signed a treaty,
like the Geneva Convention, it meant something. There used to be a
time when the United States was looked upon by the world, with the
utmost of respect and admiration, as a protector of liberty, justice
and freedom and as a humanitarian country.

Any American which condones this evil behavior in the name of
patriotism is nothing more than the utmost epitome of hypocrisy.

Thanks,

HD> RBHauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:
HD> It's frightening how little we Americans learn from our own
HD> history. I thought the yee-haw cowboy days of american rool were
HD> over post-Viet Nam War. How wrong I was.

HD> And if you want to know where the next crop of suicide
HD> bombers are coming from just look at those photos from our latest
HD> stupidity.

HD> oy.

HD> Rick Hauptman
HD> CA Democratic Party
HD> Internet Caucus

HD> Ibelimited1 writes:

>> Dear All
>>
>> The article below out of the Jordanian Times portrays a
>> position and an opinion that I agree with 100%. And as an Arab
>> American I am saddened to say that the strongest nation on earth
>> will once again show no interest in learning from its own mistakes.
>>
>> When you lie to the American people and sell them on a war and
>> an invade another country for the wrong reasons.... you should not
>> be shocked nor surprised.
>>
>>! The questions we must ask are:
>> A- who are really responsible for this?
>> B- and whose heads must role as a result?
>>
>> Not the soldiers alone if justice is to be served.
>>
>> Many might remember the movie "A few good men" with Tom Cruise
>> and Jack Nicholson. Draw you own conclusions.
>>
>> You will understand when you read the article.
>>
>> If you think this is unrelated to Internet issues, think
>> again and harder.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Khaled Fattal
>> MINC Chairman and CEO

HD> Do you Yahoo!?
HD> Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.inetconcepts.net
(972) 788-2364                    Fax: (972) 788-5049
----