Re: [ga] Re Spam (Was get out of my name space . . .)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Brown" <donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Leah G" <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 09:07
Subject: [ga] Re Spam (Was get out of my name space . . .)

> ICANN should be dismantled, since it is not serving the Internet
> Community and because it has become a self-empowered Dictator of
> Internet policy in favor of its own self-serving and corrupt agenda.
> Empowering this abomination further, will be like shooting ourselves
> in the foot.

ICANN's monopoly is an illusion - users can change their DNS pointers
any time they want and ISP's can change the hints file that they use on
the resolvers that their customers use. End users will not bother because as
far as they are concerned, it works now. They, like most people in the public
fail to see the bigger picture and they don't care - they are too lazy to do so.
That why democracies fail to deliver on all of their promises because the
goverened, when given the right to govern themselves are too lazy and easily
fooled by the politicians and allow themselves to be controlled rather than
taking responsibility.

What is needed is a credible alternative to ICANN that ISP's will support.

A root server network that is stable and has financial backing and a
board of trustees that has the confidence of the world internet community.

This is very do-able. If someone with the money would set up an endowment
with a bulletproof trust that could not be captured by nefarious players (as
ICANN was captured), then the problem would be solved.