[ga] Re Spam (Was get out of my name space . . .)

See below --

Tuesday, March 23, 2004, 12:58:59 AM, Leah G <jandl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
LG> Jeff Williams wrote:
[SNIP}

>>> It cannot do anything to stem the flow of mail, website activity or
>>> anything above the core layer. Furthermore, it has no mandate to
>>> interfere with the upper layers that operate on top of the core
>>> protocols. Spam is content management. That should be regulated by
>>> others, perhaps governments, perhaps not. However, it is the backbone
>>> providers, ISPs and network management that must work in concert to
>>> stop spam.
>>

>> ISPs and network management entities cannot carry all or even the
>> majority of the load...

LG> If they are working together, which many are, to construct methods to
LG> reduce its impact the best results will come from that effort.  Tar pits
LG> or honey pots will most likely be a major project.  Also banding
LG> together to educate mail server operators on security and anti-spam
LG> methods as well as educating users is going to be one of the most
LG> effective means to controlling spam.  Couple that with cooperative
LG> efforts by governments to punish spammers and the results will be much
LG> better than hoping for organizations like ICANN will come up with
LG> anything workable or acceptable to those who are most impacted.

LG> It is the entities who are impacted who will provide the best answers.
LG> They are the ones bearing the cost of the traffic and customer service
LG> issues, so it is in their best interests to work on the solution.

>>>Goverments can certainly take a stand and make it painful for prolific
>>>spammers to stay in business.
>>

>>   Yes they can, but they will not do so...

LG> They are beginning to do so.

LG> <snip>
[SNIP]

I have watched the threads about spam and disagree to a certain
extent.

ICANN is not the proper venue to control, fix or regulate Spam or
anything else for that matter. ICANN has demonstrated its indifference
to the desires and best interests of the Internet Community, it has
demonstrated its benevolence to certain parties, i.e. VeriSign, in
favor of its own self-serving and corrupt agenda, it has intruded into
venues beyond the narrow scope of its mission and it has proven to be
inept at successfully achieving even its core mission.

Please, let's not give ICAN any ideas, or support, for any further
intrusion beyond its narrow scope or allow it to assume any additional
free-lunch agendas which it will undoubtedly screw-up.

Can you imagine an ICANN Accredited Spammer or the VeriSign Spam-Free
mail service or a WIPO-like tribunal of Kangaroo spammers?

ICANN should be dismantled, since it is not serving the Internet
Community and because it has become a self-empowered Dictator of
Internet policy in favor of its own self-serving and corrupt agenda.
Empowering this abomination further, will be like shooting ourselves
in the foot.

As laws are introduced, as clue-less Admins begin to figure out how to
close open proxies, MTA's, etc. and as the few ISP's begin to actually
enforce their AUP's, spam will move elsewhere due to the profit
motive. We are already seeing a lot of junk, and spam-vertised web
sites, from China, Korea and elsewhere.  I think that spam prohibition
will be about as effective a alcohol prohibition was in the U.S.

I, for one, think we want less (not more) laws WRT the Internet and
that the community already has the capabilities to address the issue,
anyway.

As spam has proliferated over the years, fighting it has become a
definable industry.  Most post office software, commercial and open
source, includes certain defenses and additional outside applications
have also been developed.  The community is addressing changes to
TCP/IP and, I suspect, will continue to address protocol issues with
an eye toward reducing and eliminating the blight of Spam, as well as
viruses and other SMTP oriented grief.

I, for one, don't want any more "help" from ICANN, like SiteFinder,
WLS, WIPO, etc.  The best way to not get bitten by a snake is to stay
away from it.

Thanks,

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----