[ga] Re: [Members] ICANN Carthage meetings

  • To: <members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [Members] ICANN Carthage meetings
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 03:23:39 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would appreciate, specifically, detailed update info on the state of play
of Sebastien Bachollet's NewTLDs Evaluation Process, the role of the TEAC
and why it is not referenced, the process by which the imminent report has
been generated, and also an explanation of why this report (budget $350000?)
was not put out to tender first? Who solicited Sebastien? Where is the
agenda? Given Sebastien's stated support for user participation in the past,
I hope he will recognise that the At Large has a significant input to offer
to the Evaluation of the previous new TLDs and the criteria for selecting
more. I have scores of questions and statements to make, and I'm sure other
members have plenty to add as well. Furthermore, Joop, I'd appreciate any
info you can get on the whereabouts of the Registry Evaluation Reports,
mandated under Appendix U of their ICANN-Registry Agreements, which were due
for publication 18 months ago. A year ago, Stuart Lynn said ICANN staff had
been too busy to post them on the website, and that this was now being dealt
with. But the Reports have never been published. The NTEPPTF stated in its
report (which the Board accepted and asked to be implemented) that these
Registry Evaluation Reports were data central to the Evaluation Process, and
that they should be made available to all constituencies. ICANN seems
incredibly unprofessional about this. If you see Paul Twomey, you might
remind him I wrote to him about this and other matters in May of this year,
and he's never acknowledged my mail. Ask him how "responsive" he thinks this
is? And also ask Dan Halloran, when you see him, when he's going to
acknowledge my mail of 500+ days ago, raising those concerns about the
sunrise and landrush launches of .info and .biz which the NTEPPTF also
identified as areas of concern which needed to be addressed. Also, I note
that Hal Lubsen will be in Carthage, and I'd be interested to know from Hal,
precisely how he justifies the Lorenz domain sale - he'll know what I mean -
DomainBank got $15000 from that, breaking the Afilias rules in the process
(even though ol' Hal was CEO of Afilias at the time).

Thanks in anticipation, Joop!

Richard H