Re: [ga] request for details about ALAC members

  • To: Kristy McKee <k@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan halloran <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, "Nancy J. Victory" <NVICTORY@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] request for details about ALAC members
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:24:35 -0700
  • Cc: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kristy, all former DNSO GA members and all stakeholders/users,

  Marilyn Cade as you recall along with Dan Holloran and Vitorrio,
well know as they have been prompted via Email, that stakeholders/users
are NOT represented by the ALAC and these individuals
in particular have made it clear that stakeholder/user active
and direct participation in policy issues, technical and otherwise
are not wanted or desired by a tiny few of the SIG's that you
rightly refer to Kristy.

  As a spokesman of some 100k+ domain name holders, network
providers, and ecommerce business people we as individuals
were not allowed to join the ALAC.  I personally find this
inconsistent with good reasoning or reasonable transparency.

Kristy McKee wrote:

> The quote below is from
> http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/whois-sc/msg00012.html
>
> "(Note the At-Large Advisory Committee has the same status of the
> Government Advisory Committee in the new ICANN structure and may report its
> findings and recommendations directly to the ICANN Board, and in addition
> may appoint non-voting liaisons to the GNSO Council. The role of Advisory
> Committees is described in
> <http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#Xl>Article XI of the new bylaws -
> and part 4 of section 2 describes the structure of ALAC in more detail) "
>
> Just in case you were wondering, there is enough information available to
> convince even the most hopeful person that ICANN's ALAC truly has no
> interest in working for the purpose of enhancing the Internet for netizens;
> but rather the special interest groups they represent.
>
> Please note, ICANN used the special status of the ALAC to get them into
> position.  The people in the ALAC have been making a living off of ICANN
> related activities for too long.  Netizens have a right to know who pays
> these folks for their time; but more than that, Netizens deserve to be
> included in this decision making process.
>
> Vittorio,
>
> I would like to see a list of the ALAC members that details each person's
> Internet experience and a list of persons and companies they have received
> money and/or other types of donations from since 1996.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ~k

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801