[ga] Notes from today's secsac meeting

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Notes from today's secsac meeting
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:18:06 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Notes from today's secsac meeting are available from my blog; I used
the webcast to follow the meeting.

Nothing unexpected happened: Verisign tried to be collaborative with
respect to fixing individual technical issues (suggesting, e.g., to
introduce a wildcard MX record instead of running a bounce server),
but did not seem willing to compromise on the design side of things.

The best presentations were clearly given by Bellovin and Klensin;
however, they were hard to transcribe given the high
information-per-time density. Both made the importance of the
Internet's end-to-end design for innovation -- and the importance of
a properly functioning DNS for that design -- abundantly clear. The
message from their talks is that sitefinder is not just a bad idea
because of individual side-effects, but because of the service's
fundamental design.

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.