Re: [ga] Notes from today's secsac meeting

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Notes from today's secsac meeting
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:28:44 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas and all former DNSO GA members or other stakeholders/users,

  Thank you for your personal report Thomas.  And given the past
incidences with Email bugs from John Kliensen it is not surprising
but unfortunate that in your opinion that John's presentation was one
of the most "interesting"...

 So I think some actual broader review of the other presentations
for review by any and all of the stakeholders/users would perhaps
present a more balanced review opinion...

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> Notes from today's secsac meeting are available from my blog; I used
> the webcast to follow the meeting.
>
> Nothing unexpected happened: Verisign tried to be collaborative with
> respect to fixing individual technical issues (suggesting, e.g., to
> introduce a wildcard MX record instead of running a bounce server),
> but did not seem willing to compromise on the design side of things.
>
> The best presentations were clearly given by Bellovin and Klensin;
> however, they were hard to transcribe given the high
> information-per-time density. Both made the importance of the
> Internet's end-to-end design for innovation -- and the importance of
> a properly functioning DNS for that design -- abundantly clear. The
> message from their talks is that sitefinder is not just a bad idea
> because of individual side-effects, but because of the service's
> fundamental design.
>
> --
> Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801