Re: [ga] Vint Cerf opposed to users being redirected to search engines

On 01:12 07/09/03, Dan Steinberg said:
Jefsey,
It doesnt matter if you quote Teilhard de Chardin or Manu le Malin.
And it doesnt matter if millions want it or just 52. Its a matter of choice. I simply dont think ICANN (or its representatives) have any right to choose how my browsing, mail, telnet or other experience works.

Full agreement. But we live in a real world. Your choice does not weight much alone. The good news and important point is that you choice is not a dream. ICANN is a dream. Unfortunately this dream is maintained by the fact people do not want to get real and understand the way it works. Or protest against reality as you do...

Millions tends to be more powefull than 52 or even you. I know that USA "are not a democracy but a Republic" as someone reminded me recently, so 52 from the White House may have more powers and rights than millions. So I will not discuss AmerICANN and democracy. But I tend to relly on the market of millions/billions as being more appealng on businesses than 52 people or even you alone, even if you are right. And because if you are right that billions are as right as you and that makes a very very powerfull brainware.

Also, what I am puzzled is the way these 52 are dwindling under pressure. The user centric architecture of the network is less and less in favor among designers (P2P is not user centric - there are quite no GPL network oriented projects). A free simple Windows DNS resolver would totally change the net in your way. et as you say, it is your/my right. I only add and document why it is also the very nature of the network.

So my moint is that not only ICANN is politically wrong against you, but it is technically a bug.
Cheers.
jfc