Re: "stakeholders" was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

Karl,

I don't understand why we are arguing.  We agree that everyone is at least indirectly
affected by the internet and, as such, has an interest in ICANN's decision making.

The argument is use or misuse of the term "stakeholder."  My contention is that
everyone affected by the internet is a stakeholder, and you are arguing there should
be no term used at all, if I read you correctly, because the US Constitution does not
use that term.

First, if everyone has an interest in ICANN's decision making due to the fact that
everyone is affected by the internet, what has the US Constitution to do with it other
than ICANN happens to be a US corporation?  It is a world issue, right?

There has to be some defiintion to describe those affected.  Call them persons if you
like or "those affected by the internet" if you like, but I don't think the semantics
makes much difference.  The point, IMO, is that ICANN has abused the term
stakeholders and that is what needs to be addressed.  If you define the term
stakeholders to be all those affected by the internet either directly or indirectly, it
would be used correctly.

Leah