Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:17:26AM -0700,
 Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 67 lines which said:

> I say "Let ICANN stick with technical matters."

So, you just postpone the problem: who will deal with political
matters? I understand that a single organization may be not suited for
every task and I agree that "ICANN doesn't fit anybody's definition of
encompassing all the parties who are affected by its decisions." but
who does?

> The bodies best suited to answer that question are the RIRs
> themselves -

This in itself is a political decision (that the Internet has to be
managed by the RIR, i.e. by the large network operators).

And not a good one, IMHO. RIR also have their own selfish interests
(for instance, freezing IPv6 allocation during a very long time
because IPv6, with its much larger address space, diminishes their
power).