Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:17:26AM -0700,
>  Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 67 lines which said:
>
> > I say "Let ICANN stick with technical matters."
>
> So, you just postpone the problem: who will deal with political
> matters? I understand that a single organization may be not suited for
> every task and I agree that "ICANN doesn't fit anybody's definition of
> encompassing all the parties who are affected by its decisions." but
> who does?

  Your point here should be well taken here Stephane.  And as
you know it has been discussed time and time again. There is no
single organization that can or even should encompass all parties.
But, ICANN actively or indirectly excludes interested parties,
as indicated in the MoU from being included purposefully.  And
that is it's fundamental single biggest failing...

> > The bodies best suited to answer that question are the RIRs
> > themselves -
>
> This in itself is a political decision (that the Internet has to be
> managed by the RIR, i.e. by the large network operators).

  And such a notion is not only incorrect it is wrong as well,
as we all have already experienced or seen for ourselves.

> And not a good one, IMHO. RIR also have their own selfish interests
> (for instance, freezing IPv6 allocation during a very long time
> because IPv6, with its much larger address space, diminishes their
> power).

 Indeed true, yet the allocation policies by the RIR's for IPv6
addresses has exceeded original IPv4 address space by five
fold.  Why?

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801