[ga] ICANN's replacement

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN's replacement
  • From: DannyYounger@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:02:39 EDT
  • Cc: richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard,

You have argued that the U.S. does not have the right to be the ultimate
overseer of the world's Internet, and that whatever body emerges to replace
ICANN's role as the administrator of this global resource should be one that for
purposes of credibility and trust should be, in some manner, accountable to *all*
governments.  I presume that you are envisioning some type of international
intergovernmental entity that would assume ICANN's responsibilities.

The first question that I would pose is this -- do you have a viable
candidate organization in mind?  Are you referring to the ITU, some other IGO/NGO, or
would management of the DNS become a function administered by the United
Nations?

The second question would be this -- in your opinion, under what set of
circumstances would the U.S. Department of Commerce willing cede control of the
Root to this entity?

Third question -- is it your expection that this replacement entity will
allow for democratically elected elements in its Board Room, or is it more likely
that member governments will ultimately represent the world's Internet users?

Looking forward to a continuing exchange of views,

best regards,
Danny Younger