Re: [ga] ICANN's replacement

  • To: DannyYounger@xxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN's replacement
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:55:02 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx, richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all fellow members,

  This is a now long standing argument as I think you well know
Danny. And one that has been ongoing from time to time even
before you were involved or began your participation Danny.

  There effectively is no such global organization that can
adequately fulfill the type of structure Richard seems to
envision.  One should or must therefore be built or created,
as ICANN seems to envision the ALSC as that organization,
made up of other user/stakeholder based organizations.

 However Richard is correct in believing that the ALSC
is inadequately structured as it does not allow or provide
for individual stakeholder/user voice and vote on policies
that will or might effect and/or impact them.  Here inlies
where the skewed process and practice of the ICANN
BoD and staff has failed most of all.  It is also where
the ICANNATLARGE.ORG fledgling organization has
shown it will not be successful as well unless the
"Club" mentality of a few Jefsey-election false panel
members changes or others in a legitimate members
determined election process are duly elected.

DannyYounger@xxxxxx wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You have argued that the U.S. does not have the right to be the ultimate
> overseer of the world's Internet, and that whatever body emerges to replace
> ICANN's role as the administrator of this global resource should be one that for
> purposes of credibility and trust should be, in some manner, accountable to *all*
> governments.  I presume that you are envisioning some type of international
> intergovernmental entity that would assume ICANN's responsibilities.
>
> The first question that I would pose is this -- do you have a viable
> candidate organization in mind?  Are you referring to the ITU, some other IGO/NGO, or
> would management of the DNS become a function administered by the United
> Nations?
>
> The second question would be this -- in your opinion, under what set of
> circumstances would the U.S. Department of Commerce willing cede control of the
> Root to this entity?
>
> Third question -- is it your expection that this replacement entity will
> allow for democratically elected elements in its Board Room, or is it more likely
> that member governments will ultimately represent the world's Internet users?
>
> Looking forward to a continuing exchange of views,
>
> best regards,
> Danny Younger

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801