[ga] Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Mechanism of U.S. government seizures of Web site domains explained

  • To: imatx26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fbi.dallas@xxxxxxxxxx, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, lauren@xxxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx, hallam@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Mechanism of U.S. government seizures of Web site domains explained
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:09:45 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Lauren and all,

  Yes it does seem that at least torrent-finder.info is hosted
in Dallas after I did some checking.  This surprised me a bit.
However as I have no interest in anything Torrent is or ever has
been doing personally, I have noticed from time to time that
they are often sending out UCE/Spam attempting to what seems
and has seemed to me in the past, attract or entice users to
download whatever for free that I thought was suspect and reported
same several times to US-Cert.org as well as my local FBI office
and the FTC accordingly.  Seems that finally they are getting some
attention that I felt was warranted clear back in 2002-3.

  If indeed afilias and Verisign are working with the USG on this
that is IMO a very good thing for many obvious reasons.  What
puzzles me though is why so late in getting around to doing so
effectively and earnestly?  FWIW, ICANN could have years ago now
prevented allot of this activity with modifications to their
RIAA contracts and enforcing those suggested provisions.  They
and the Registry/Registrar community were luke warm to downright
cold to those suggestions then.  I guess now they have had a change
of attitude?  ICANN and the Registry/Registrar community could
have saved allot of people and this and other countries a huge
amount of grief had they taken the suggestions I and many others
suggested to the RIAA contracts when they were originally made.