[ga] ICANN implicated - Defending Self In a Case of On-Line Identity Theft?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Executive_Director@xxxxxxxx, imatx26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OIG@xxxxxxx, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, lauren@xxxxxxxx, rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN implicated - Defending Self In a Case of On-Line Identity Theft?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:24:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

All,

  Not looking good on ICANN's part with respect to their
policies governing their Accreditation contracts with
registrars/registries again it seems.  Such of course
in not at all unusual or unknown, but too often ignored
by ICANN leadership and certainly by ICANN 'Accredited'
registrars.

See:
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/09/12/1718250/Defending-Self-In-a-Case-of-On-Line-Identit%7C
SoccerDad41 writes "I am a systems administrator for an Indiana-based
bricks-n-clicks retailer currently suspended because an unscrupulous
typosquatter stole my name and registration information for his/her
fraudulent domain registration. My company hired a third party service to
protect their trademark by identifying and terminating infringing web
sites. The third party identified a domain name, performed a WhoIs lookup
& issued a complaint in compliance within ICANN's rules. This was
presumably all reported back to our Legal department and it was noticed
that the name on the domain registration matched mine. I have a locally
uncommon ethnic last name so an immediate connection to me was made &
although I protested my absolute innocence in the matter, I have been
suspended on grounds of violating non-compete policies pending proof that
it isn't me. The fraudulent domain registration was made with a different
registrar (let's call them Registrar B) than the one my company uses
(let's call them Registrar A). The public parts of the registration
information at Registrar B match pretty exactly those of my legitimate
domain registrations at Registrar A, including Registrar A's mailing
address and phone number. The only things left out in the mailing address
are the reference to a domain name and ATTN: Registrar A. Of course the
anonymized email address differs as well. Surely I'm not the first in the
Slashdot community to find myself in this situation. I'd like to avoid
incurring the cost of a lawyer but I am intent on maintaining my good
name and continued employment. What are my rights and responsibilities in
this matter? What is my best course of action? How did you resolve this
issue? How can I prove it's not me?"

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 300k members/stakeholders and growing,
strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx