Re: [ga] NCUC

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] NCUC
  • From: Andrew McMeikan <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:26:04 +0800

Hugh Dierker wrote:
> This constituency interests me.  I do not like the membership criterion
> but I can see it has its' place. http://ncdnhc.org/
>
> The biggest problem that I am having with the idea is the "anti"
> commercial aspect. In this regard they seem to be a bit antagonistic
> toward registrants.  They also seem a little against any new
> constituencies -- as I can tell they do not want to dilute their stake.
>
> In this same vein I am seeing a very "grab the headlines" approach by
> EFF.  I have not been inspired by a writing of theirs for quite sometime.
> They are well funded. They are well organized. They attack wrong when
> ----  well I do not really know how they decide, seems a little strange.
>  But they do nothing that I can see to get the people fired up.  They
> are not helping to organize "grass roots" "bottom-up" support.
> Again it would appear they are caught in worrying about diluting their
> stake,, generally of funding.
>
> I could use an education on this and gladly look forward to it.

Just a very quick look and interpretation of:
'Individual persons who agree to advocate for a noncommercial
publicinterest
position within the Constituency and who fall within one of the
following three categories are eligible to join:
i) An Individual who has registered domain name(s) for personal,
family or noncommercial use;
ii) An Individual Internet user who is primarily concerned with the
public-interest aspects of domain name policy, and is not
represented in ICANN through membership in another Supporting
Organization or GNSO Stakeholder Group;
iii) An Individual who is employed by or a member of a large
noncommercial organization (universities, colleges, large NGOs)
and it is too complicated or the Individual lacks the standing to get
his/her organization to join on an organizational basis.Individual
persons who agree to advocate for a noncommercial publicinterest
position within the Constituency and who fall within one of the
following three categories are eligible to join:
i) An Individual who has registered domain name(s) for personal,
family or noncommercial use;
ii) An Individual Internet user who is primarily concerned with the
public-interest aspects of domain name policy, and is not
represented in ICANN through membership in another Supporting
Organization or GNSO Stakeholder Group;
iii) An Individual who is employed by or a member of a large
noncommercial organization (universities, colleges, large NGOs)
and it is too complicated or the Individual lacks the standing to get
his/her organization to join on an organizational basis.'

my take on this is that i) would allow personal commercial use.  It
also seems that ii) would cover commerce that would not fit in the
business constituency.  iii) would also seem to cover almost anyone.

It looks to me that individuals would be covered, personal commerce,
general users.  Not sure that it would cover small business use, but
it leaves enough wiggle room that they could be under iii) as most
interested people qualify here.

Again, have not looked in depth, but looks promising.

        cya,    Andrew...