[ga] Bridging the Gap: Why having good preemptive security is so important I - Companies Including Cyber Risks in SEC Filings

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, imatx26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx, cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx, OIG@xxxxxxx, vicki.newman@xxxxxxxxx, brigid.quinn@xxxxxxxxx, ruth.nyblod@xxxxxxxxx, SenateWebmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Bridging the Gap: Why having good preemptive security is so important I - Companies Including Cyber Risks in SEC Filings
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:38:15 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

All,

  Seems that yet again Google, like several of ICANN's
registrars and registries haven't been preemptively
taking security measures to protect their customers.
Is this at all levels of manegment, demonstrating incompatence?
The answer is of course clearly is and has been 'Yes'.

  Failures to disclose such risks also clearly points up
the lack of professionalismat a minimum on the parts
of such service providers that don't full do so as well.
I for one also hope that the USPTO is taking note here
vis a vis Google and that they have a clause in their
contract with Google to guarentee the integraty of
the data in their proposed Patent Data base project.

See:
http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-06-08/after-google-hack-warnings-pop-up-in-sec-filings.html
(June 8, 2010)
In the wake of Google's acknowledgment that hackers managed to gain
access to its internal computer systems, companies have begun noting in
US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings that similar attacks
could compromise the security and integrity of intellectual property.
The notes have been made in mandatory SEC filings that require companies
to disclose risks that could have a negative impact on their bottom
line.  Google noted that "because the techniques used [by hackers] ...
change frequently and often are not recognized until launched against a
target, we may be unable to anticipate these techniques or to implement
adequate preventative measures."

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 300+k members/stakeholders and growing,
strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx