Re: [ga] Online Voting here at the GA

  • To: Accountability Headquarters <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Online Voting here at the GA
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 16:10:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Andy and all,

  Good suggestion Andy, but I am doubtful that ICANN will be very interested
simply because they don't like Registrants and/or users voting on anything
directly such as a referendum vote on a proposed policy or some part of
same, for instance.  Secondly ICANN will want to have full 'Control' of
the voting mechanism and the database of voters as well to do with as they
please.  That is not a very inviting or safe situation as we have seen with
Facebook, Myspace, Diebold, and Google for instance.

  A much better suggestion is along the lines to which the GA
members/subscribers
themselves have 'full control' of the voting mechanism along the lines
of the product Eric provided a link for, and I did a few days ago, see:
and was, see: http://www.bigpulse.com/elections?gclid=CKaVzNz7z6ECFQ1X2godNnE_Lw
which has a high level of security/privacy and is multilingual which I don't
believe the product Eric gave as a reference, again see Erics suggested link:
http://www.electionsonline.us/products-and-prices/election-services.htm
does.  Ergo leaving our non-english first language folks at a decided
disadvantage, and does not perhaps adaquately provide for strong privacy
and security.  Not a good thing when doing online voting as disputes
of a very valid nature will almost certainly arise accordingly.  After
all we surely want to be culturally and privacy/security sensitive I would
hope, and we can.  >:)  Such is simply a part of good process so that
good product can be the best and/or most broadly desired outcome! >:)

  Finally, expecting ICANN to pay for all this is a bit over the top.
We should be able to garner the funds to do this ourselves as Eric
earlier suggested, and I believe he is absolutely right. I am sure
that Joop, Dr. Joe, yourself Andy, Karl, Eric, Sotiris, Roberto,
and perhaps a few others can acquire the necessary funding or
perhaps these online voting software providers would be able to
donate or provide at a significantly lower price, their online voting
software product.  Eric being an excellent contract negotiator and
our Chair, I am sure can if he is willing, perswade any such a provider
for a good deal for us.  >:)