Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:41:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Joop and all,

  I believe that you, Sotiris and George are essentially
correct in that Registrants as well as users which you failed
to mention *are* logical constituents and that ICANN knows
and has known that.  What I believe that Roberto is suggesting
is something more formal for ICANN *Full* recognition.

  Personally the GA served this function quite well and still
does even though it combines both Registrants and users whom
are not registrants.  But that's why it was originally known
as a "General Assembly/GA" and perhaps and IMO, should remain so.
However for reason or reasons not well articulated or justified,
the GNSO when transitioned from the old DNSO decided the GA
was no longer "officially recognized".  All without a vote of the
GA members then I might add...  That sort of process IMO is not
reasonably ligitimate and was not at that time either.  Sense
then, to satisfy users whom are not necessarly registrants or may
be as well, the RALO's and ALAC 'revisited' were created.  Neither
has proven to be good alternitives from what most have attested to.
Hence a bottom up, open and transparent ICANN does not actually
exist and never really has.  Very sad and detramental.

  Certainly there is reason to believe or consider that a
Independant Registrant Constituency could or should be formally
recognized by ICANN and the GNSO, if that is what you are seeking
and/or referring to, and I believe is what Roberto was referring to.
I hope Roberto will correct me if I am mistaken? However to expect
the GNSO or the Board to acccept a 'revived/retread' IDNO as such as
I suspect you are indirectly suggesting, is perhaps, if not certainly,
asking far too much given the IDNO's sorted and corrupt history.

  I also 'Think?' what Roberto was referring to and the GNSO will
be looking for in a Independant Registrant Constituency, would be
a totally new effort, with a new website, it's own voting software,
and a statement of principals as well as a means by which members
can be verified yet keep in tact their personal privacy and
security, and demonstrate to ICANN's satisfaction after recieving
the GNSO councils approval that such a constituency is reasonably
viable and ligitimate before granting ICANN Constituency status/recognition.
Perhaps here also Roberto or Chuck can correct me if I am off base or
incorrect here?