Re: [ga] Scandal, Discussion and Argument

  • To: Accountability Headquarters <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Scandal, Discussion and Argument
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

Very nice discussion of very relevant topics here. Jeff's statement is actually
very germain in that the Jurisdictional issues of the Internet are always hot
topics. During the "domain name cybersquatting wars" I lost many a name because
it was just too expensive to go to New York and fight the challenge.

On the issue of GA contribution. This statement is wrong on many levels: " If
we want the GA to have any chance of being taken seriously, we need to
demonstrate that we are capable of behaving like serious professionals"

First, "the GA" is not to be taken seriously. It is to be taken at face value.
We don't need no stinkin badges. If someone states a salient fact or reveals an
obscure truth, then that is of itself what the GA is for. We do not have
authority or duty except as individual netizens. We are the epitome of
Vigilante.  We do not get paid. We do not get promoted. We can put
participation on a Resume'??? There are doctorates from the wealthiest
countries and there are students from the poorest. Our only credential here is
a willingness to participate. This is a true General Assembly as the one that
drafted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for the UN, 1948. Good ideas
and bad may come from here but they do not belong to the GA. The worst enemy of
the GA is censorship not lack of respect.
So it is not the GA that must be taken seriously, but the ideas that come
therefrom.

As to prurient -- no that is what I meant,,,, in the off science of psychology
we find that those most offended by public use or display of sexuality and
offshoots are in fact more than likely harboring a "closet" case of abundance
of prurience --- blue haired church ladies and the xxx debacle probably are
proof positive of this thrust ;-)