Re: [ga] European MP says "unbelievable" German high school student getting away with domain scam

  • To: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] European MP says "unbelievable" German high school student getting away with domain scam
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:28:04 -0400

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well,
>
> On 28 April 2010 15:14, Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Matthew thanks for taking the time to verify this. Unfortunately you
>> didn't do a good job of it.
>

> Hmm, I also have a record from his office - from a different assistant -
> we'll just have to see what comes back this time.
>

>> For the record here is the email from the office of Albrecht.
>>

> I'm not going to forward the email that I received to a public list, that
> would be rather rude.  I have to say that the advice "if you think you have
> been defrauded go to the (relevant) police" isn't particularly startling,
> nor is it indicative that the MEP or their office consider that there has
> actually been a fraud.

I agree completely. The police must be motivated to investigate and the
school has to do something about their associations with the fraud. What I
find startling is the MEP was motivated to make the statement. It shows how
misinformed they are with respect to the police. This is not an easy crime
to prove in a criminal court. And those police that do have the resources to
investigate commercial crime as busy looking at child porn images.

The police simply don't have the resources to handle this. What concerns me
is the schools inability to do anything about this. They are clearly
associated with the websites run by the student. The principle promised me
this would be stopped. It hasn't. And by it's inactions the fraud continues
and people end up buying crap TLDs assuming a famous high school in Germany
is behind it. The same way some people who go to the resellers page .. which
see: http://bit.ly/bop9ju assume that ICANN and IANA are backing the project
- purchase a TLD and the fraud continues.

I'll stick to my original statement that I know nothing about the facts of
> the case.

I understand .. and I'm sorry the Palmer clones keep rehashing the
psychobabble.

>> Incidentally .. the story also contains a quote from Keith Teare the well
>> known founder of RealNames who the scam artists claim was behind on of their
>> projects. Teare denied RealNames has anything to do with them and said "I
>> just read the various sites", Teare said, "looks like a major scam".
>>

>  I don't know Keith - but then I'm on this list as a security person, not
> as a domain entrepreneur.  Although I used to be an EasyNet customer ...

DNS is a fundamental starting point in DNS security. One good thing INAIC
did, a historical first, was get Turkey and most European countries to start
thinking about deploying national root infrastructure.

But Keith did make those comments. The INAIC / TLDA boys were claiming Keith
was behind one of their TLD resellers - that is now offline. Now that would
be news if Keith invested in this scam. Of course it was just another
fraudulent claim as were the claims that multinationals corporations
AKZO-Nobel, Philips, Hilton Hotels, and KFC were backing them. I have the
emails to prove all these claims.

As a security expert, humor me with an answer, but it's optional. Would you
trust your dns to www.inaic.com ???

Cheers
joe baptista