Re: [ga] Problems kick-starting the Inclusive Namespace

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Problems kick-starting the Inclusive Namespace
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:41:05 -0700 (PDT)

Joe,

I always love a beginning like: "We are at the very precipice of---". But alas
we cannot use this here.  Because the top is moribound in more psychosis and
grandiosity than either side of the Axis of Evil, the Internet can and will go
in two directions. My fave - grassroots and Battle hymn of the Republic and by
the People and for the People stuff,,,, but probably the more mondane Good old
Human ingenuity and entrepenueral spirit, heavily salted with greed - but
honest greed.

Our Namespace and DNS structure is just fantastic. Like having one lightbulb in
a small town. It is a miracle of science and technology we should all gather
round and marvel.
That was really cool in the 90s and early 00s. But ,.,.

I am ready for a handheld light computing device that is fully integrated with
my thoughts, runs on total passive solar/moon, can follow the curvature of the
earth and could light Manhattan while marketing my braziere. I am looking for
Internet folks who are not stuck in the bottleneck of holding on to the old so
tight it prevents the future.  I am tired of position papers rather than bright
nova ideas. Our current form of Internet Governance is so bad it is trying to
govern Ideas and innovation and thought rather than the use of them. They are
like a huge religious church in the Dark Ages.

A pendulum in the expertise of megacorps has swung too far in one direction.
The fine professionals that are hired to go out and stifle advancement and
innovation so that the corporations do not have to compete and innovate to stay
profitable are doing to fine a job.
Just a little too fine of a Job.  It is eroding the incentives to the status
quo oriented big business, to renovate and create.

This converging scenario lays a table for Capitalists of the finest order.  It
is an opportunity wrapped all nice an tidy.  And we have an abundance of young
turks(of all ages) who would rather lead than follow.

My hope is that during this new Horizon setting that we regain some admiration
for the idea and not the source. Tina and Thunderdome - We don't need another
Hero.