[ga] 5. gTLDs to limit/restrict or Laissez faire

  • To: Accountability Headquarters <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] 5. gTLDs to limit/restrict or Laissez faire
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

I really want the registrants representative body within ICANN to get rooted
and take off.

It would seem probable that they will attack and try at every turn to limit the
"floodgates" of new gTLDs.  I say this because most will be domainers, who are
in the business and they will want to keep their commodity as scarce as they
can.  OTOH back in the late '90s and early part of this decade the focus was on
"gold rushes" and speculation in new markets.
Although a lot of those were converted ccTLDs - TV, WS, LA etc.

I would prefer more competition. I would like to see ccTLDs actually market
their names through their representative governance. I would also like to see
new gTLDs and existing ones be required to include registrant representation
and voting models within their bids.