Re: [ga] ICANN and censorship (and ombudsman ineffectiveness)

  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN and censorship (and ombudsman ineffectiveness)
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 03:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Just to followup on my prior post which referenced the very serious breach by
the Ombudsman of confidentiality (let alone raising free speech questions)

> https://omblog.icann.org/?p=192

I note my most recent attempt to comment on the blog has been censored (or put
into a "moderation" queue, to presumably be examined by the thought police to
determine whether it's "acceptable to them"). I called for an audit of the
Ombudsman, especially in light of the fact that in *5* years, the number of
complaints that he's actually resolved is miniscule, barely registering on the
graph.

Here's my uncensored comment:

--- uncensored comment begins ----------
Kieren: People have the right to be “aggressively critical” whenever they see
something wrong happening. It’s people who are wrongdoers that benefit by
attempting to stifle that critical speech. Perhaps one day you’ll have greater
sophistication and be able to appreciate why free honest and truthful speech is
valued in our society, far above “false civility.” Kent Crispin of ICANN
appears to have that sophistication. Yesterday he wrote:

“They undermine and demean the extremely valuable contributions of serious
longtime ICANN critics like Danny Younger, George Kirikos, and others. (Just
for the record — I really respect the contributions of these critics, and
sometimes I agree with them. I believe that sentiment is shared by many people
on the ICANN staff.)”

I am sure those “others” would include Robin, Avri, and Milton.

As for Frank, there’s been a serious breach of confidentiality of a complaint
here. There was no reason for this blog post at all, and certainly not the
examples that he used coming directly from someone’s formal complaint. That’s
inexcusable.

Yesterday the Ombudsman released his annual report. Page 18 of it had a graph
at the bottom right, see:

http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/documents/annual-report-2009-24sep09-en.pdf

In 5 years, the number of complaints marked “resolved” barely registers on the
graph. Eyeballing it, it seems to be under 30. This contrasts with over 1500
where the Ombudsman declined to get involved. That says it all about his lack
of effectiveness, and lack of true independence from ICANN. While the Ombudsman
claims “neutrality”, he does know that his paycheque comes from ICANN. If he
were to be truly critical of ICANN in his findings (e.g. look at comment #16
and read the Ombudsman File 09-29 and see how unsatisfactorily that was
handled), he might find his continued employment at risk. An independent audit
should be done to determine the effectiveness of the Ombudsman, as part of the
audit of ICANN that others like CADNA have called for recently.
--- uncensored comment ends ----------

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/