RE: [ga] RE: AS Chair Call for position on elections

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "'Ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] RE: AS Chair Call for position on elections
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:59:29 +0100

My apologies Avri.  You are absolutely correct.

I extracted the text from the penultimate copy of the list rules.

The current copy can be found here:
http://www.geolang.com/draftGAListRules6.htm  with the relevant text copied
below.

Best regards

Debbie

8. ELECTION AND FUNCTIONS OF THE CHAIR

The Chair shall be elected for a term of one year and may be re-elected for
a further one year term but must not serve more than 3 terms in succession.

An election is usually held near the end of the term of office for the chair
of the General Assembly. The exact time is decided by the outgoing Chair.
Before the start of the election, the (outgoing) Chair selects at least 3
people who are not candidates to act as an Election Oversight Committee
(EOC) and Secretariat. The watchdogs agree with the Chair the voting
mechanism to be employed and receive full details of the voting mechanism
and oversee all votes. The names of the EOC and Secretariat are to be made
public.

The election process starts when the GA Secretariat announces that
nominations are open.

All nominations and endorsements are made public.

Nominees for the Chair are sent to an email address provided by the
Secretariat.

The nomination period shall be at least one week.

After the close of the nomination period, endorsements for the candidates
are sent to an email address provided by the Secretariat.

The endorsement period shall be at least one week.

Before the end of the endorsement period, candidates that wish to be
considered for the post must have sent in an acceptance of the nomination.

All candidates who have accepted the nomination, and have at least two
endorsements from subscribers to the GA mailing list are considered
candidates.

Note: Candidates are allowed to endorse themselves. Members can endorse
multiple candidates.

Voting is secret; only the Secretariat and the EOC will be allowed to see
the votes.

Each subscriber to the General Assembly mailing list receives one vote.

Subscribers must have been members with at least 3 postings to the list, at
least 90 days prior to the call for an election. The election period shall
be at least 14 days.