Re: [ga] Many MoD IT Systems Do Not Meet Security Guidelines

  • To: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Many MoD IT Systems Do Not Meet Security Guidelines
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:34:41 -0800

Matthew and all,

  Thanks for your detailed explanation.  I can't say that I am excepting

of it as is, but it is at least appreciated accordingly.  Nice bit of
Spin
here!  Well done!  >:)

  What this has to do with DN's TLDs, DNS, but nothing to do with
ICANN is that MoD's "IT" systems are insecure as the article clearly
states AND that co.uk zone is significantly exposed as well.  Ergo
pointing back to the articles rightly stated concern and it's potential
impact on any user or other zones/TLD name spaces accordingly.
One has to understand how DNS works before one can respectively
understand fully the relevant potential global user and other
registrant's
DN impact.  It appears you lack that understand in sufficient depth.

  However this again in less detail that would be technically complete,
it is good that the UK Govt. is taking yet another look and addressing
this glaring security problem more seriously and that routing around the

damage by other zones and registrants Domain Names can mitigate
potential damage from these security exposures for the time being.
Yet clearly and understandably many will not get the word and take
any action, or know what effective action for their own safety and
security, they need to take for some time.  As such, why it is always
best and prudent to do your basic IT security properly the FIRST
time, and adjust in a proactive manner rather than a reactive. >:)