Re: [ga] Many MoD IT Systems Do Not Meet Security Guidelines

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Many MoD IT Systems Do Not Meet Security Guidelines
  • From: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 07:11:08 +0000

Or, to look at it another way ...

"We significantly changed the Information Assurance rules 6 months ago, in
response to the Data Handling Review, to increase the security for data
that, while of limited military significance under our classification rules,
contained personal information.  These changes were issued a third of the
way into the budget year, without additional spending authority from the
Treasury, and while we are operationally deployed in two war zones, as well
as maintaining our other military commitments worldwide.

Not surprisingly, our auditors have found that not all of our current
systems yet meet these new standards, although we have put in place other
mitigating measures that we are not going to talk about in detail because
they are classified.  We are on track to meet the required changes in
accordance with the timescales issued by the Cabinet Office and the
procurement rules have been changed to ensure that new systems are
compliant."

And I might remind any US govt employees thinking of taking the advice based
on Jeffrey's usual uncritical parochialism of "agent.btz".

BTW, just what does this have to do with ICANN, roots, TLDs, DNS etc?  They
are talking about end-user system security (mostly, it has to be said, about
encrypted hard drives & removeable media).

Matthew

--

Matthew Pemble
Technical Director, Idrach Ltd