Re: [ga] ICANN uses for-profit companies as "comparables" in its employee compensation

  • To: dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN uses for-profit companies as "comparables" in its employee compensation
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 01:00:48 -0800

Danny and all,

  I agree fully with the comments you kindly shared and provided
for by the GAC comments.  As such however, I am not sure that
none of these comments directly reflect upon the "Fellowship program"
to which George rightly has yet again objected to.  Yet such complaints
regarding the "Fellowship Program" are by no means new as I had
some time ago complained regarding same.

Danny Younger wrote:

> George raises some excellent points.
>
> It is probably worthwhile also to review the similar GAC comments on the
> topic:
>
> "Financial accountability
>
> In a context where ICANN's budget has rapidly grown from $5 million in the
> 2000-2001 budget year to a proposed budget in excess of $61 million for the
> 2009 financial year, it can be assumed than ICANN has now achieved "financial
> security".
>
> ï?§     It may now be appropriate therefore, for the ICANN community to
> determine how future budgetary growth should be managed and maybe even
> limited to remain in line with ICANNâ??s limited core mission and mandate.
>
> ï?§     ICANN's non-profit status should mean not only that it does not pay
> dividends to shareholders, but also that it should not be revenue-driven as
> an organization.
>
> ï?§     Safeguards must also ensure that the policy making process does not
> favour revenue-generating options above those that reflect the broader public
> interest and community consensus on what is needed for ICANN coordination
> role.
>
> ï?§     More systematic disclosure is needed on how resources are spent, and
> in particular regarding contracts with consultants and other third parties.
>
> ï?§     Specific accountability and transparency rules regarding ICANNâ??s
> budget (independent auditing, results-based budgeting, metrics, etc..) are
> required in the absence of the traditional controls exercised by shareholders
> or membership.
>
> ï?§     Broad community discussion on possible uses of any surplus is
> necessary.
>
> The PSC-led process should focus less on identifying additional sources of
> income for the organization than on a more detailed, results-based and
> transparent budgetary planning. A willingness on the part of ICANNâ??s
> management to "cap" its own budget will be a strong factor in forstering
> long-term confidence in the institution.
>
> The GAC is also aware that ICANNâ??s current income structure creates a
> potential "over-dependency" on registry and registrar constituencies.
> Ensuring that such over-dependency does not lead to any suggestion of
> "capture" by ICANN's main channels of funding is essential to maintaining its
> independence and legitimacy."
>
> Source:
> http://open.nat.gov.tw/OpenFront/report/show_file.jsp?sysId=C09702989&fileNo=007

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827