[ga] [Fwd: [IGP Announce] Internet Governance Project Headlines]

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: [IGP Announce] Internet Governance Project Headlines]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:56:16 -0800

All,

  FYI such as it is...

-------- Original Message --------
    Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:58:19 -0500
    From: Internet Governance Project <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      To: jwkckid1 <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[Internet Governance Project]

December 12, 2008

IGF 2008: Epilogue
What is the IGF for?
China threatens to leave IGF
Security at the IGF: Just Give Me the Money
DNSSEC, Incentives and the Color of Bicycle Sheds
Internet Governance Forum Opens in India
Fellowship Opportunity: Yale Information Society Project Fellowships for
2009-2010
Search Internet Governance Project Headlines

IGF 2008: Epilogue

While the uncertainty surrounding attendance at this yearâ??s IGF was mostly
unfounded
(there were more than 1200 attendees despite the Mumbai attack, an amount
comparable
with previous years IGFs), the usual doubts surfaced about what the Forum is
accomplishing. Nonetheless, it seems that more participants are pushing the
Forum to
engage in substantive policy debate, and to identify a process for producing
tangible
outputs.[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

What is the IGF for?

Patrik Fältström, one of the panelists at the IGF security session blasted by
IGPâ??s
Michel van Eeten in a December 5 blog, has responded. Patrikâ??s response makes
it clear
why the IGF often generates so much frustration among the people working
â??togetherâ??
on it. Itâ??s very good that this disagreement has taken place. It tells us a
lot about
what is going on. Two very different â?? and almost inherently incompatible â??
visions
of the Forum are revealed by this exchange. I would go further and say that if
Patrikâ??s conception prevails, the IGF will not last for the next five
years.[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

China threatens to leave IGF

At the Hyderabad Internet Governance Forum, the Chinese delegate threatened to
withdraw
from IGF and "use other mechanisms" unless the IGF stops trying to avoid the
controversial issues that led to its creation. The strong reaction from China
came
because a clear discussion of the problem of U.S. government control of the
root and
"enhanced cooperation" in the Tunis Agenda had been all but sabotaged by
defenders of
the ICANN regime. On the morning panel, the panel moderator started out by
announcing
that the term didn't really mean anything, and various panelists blithely
discussed
"enhanced cooperation" as if it meant nothing more than that nice, cooperative
things
had happened since WSIS, including people helping a little old lady across the
street.
This ignores, of course, the real meaning of the Tunis Agenda and its call for
some kind
of change in the relationship between governments, public policy making and the
Internet. "I was at WSIS," the Chinese delegate said, "and I know what was
going on."
According to him, "the focal point of IGF is to discuss whether we need one
government
to manage critical internet resources or whether we need something else." The
delegate
said that if the propblem was not resolved, "the issue will be raised in the UN
General
Assembly to consider and make a decision on."[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

Security at the IGF: Just Give Me the Money

Day two at the IGF focuses on cybersecurity, meaning the main sessions are
devoted to
it. After the first session, I heard a participant say: â??I know nothing about
Internet
security, but I didnâ??t hear anything new.â??[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

DNSSEC, Incentives and the Color of Bicycle Sheds

It is the first day of the program of the Internet Governance Forum itself. The
first
workshop I attended was on â??Understanding Internet Infrastructure.â?? It
could also
have been called â??Everything you always wanted to know about the Internet,
but where
afraid to ask.â??
The answers revealed some suprising gaps in how we think about infrastructure
issues.
[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

Internet Governance Forum Opens in India

The 3rd meeting of the UN Internet Governance Forum is now underway in
Hyderabad, India,
beginning with the Annual Symposium of GigaNet (Global Internet Governance
Academic
Network). Attendance has been affected by the violence in Mumbai, which is 700
km away.
Life in Hyderabad, however, is quite normal, attendees are moving about the
city and the
suburban â??Cyberabadâ?? area where the Forum is being held with no problems,
other than
the sometimes horrific road traffic. The presence of Indian security forces at
the
hotels and conference venues is noticeable. Many Indian commentators take the
same
attitude toward avoidance as was taken by New Yorkers after 9/11: it is
important to not
be intimidated and to insist on going on with oneâ??s life. I was especially
moved by an
opinion piece by Suketu Mehta in the Times of India: â??The terroristsâ??
message was
clear: Stay away from Mumbai or you will get killed. But the best answer to the
terrorists is to dream bigger, make even more money, and visit Mumbai more than
ever. If
the rest of the world wants to help, it should run towards the explosion. It
should fly
to Mumbai, and spend money. â?¦ Iâ??m going to go get a beer at the Leopold,
stroll over
to the Taj for samosas at the Sea Lounge and watch a Bollywood movie at the
Metro.â??
Hyderabad is not Mumbai, but I can say that we are running to it and are not
intimidated.[Image]
â?¢ Email to a friend â?¢ Article Search â?¢ [Image] â?¢

Fellowship Opportunity: Yale Information Society Project Fellowships for
2009-2010

The Information Society Project (ISP) at Yale Law School is seeking applicants
for
2009-2010 postdoctoral fellowships. The ISP resident fellowships are designed
for recent
graduates of law or Ph.D. programs who are interested in careers in teaching
and public
service in any of the following areas: law and innovation; Internet and
telecommunications law and policy; intellectual property law; access to
knowledge; first
amendment law; media studies; privacy; civil liberties online; cybercrime and
cybersecurity; social software; standards and technology policy; bioethics,
biotechnology, and law and genomics; and law, technology, and culture generally.

Information about applying is available at the ISP web site at:
http://www.law.yale.edu/intellectuallife/6523.htm. Applications for 2009-10 ISP
fellowships must be postmarked no later than Feb. 1, 2009.