[ga] ICANN, the JPA and the Internet (w/ apology for repeat)

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN, the JPA and the Internet (w/ apology for repeat)
  • From: "Karl E. Peters" <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:23:32 -0700

font-size:10pt;">Greetings one and all,&nbsp; <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (Sorry for
the confusion caused by my earlier untrimmed post, not fully edited from
another conversation!)<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now, directly to my main
point...<br><font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2" color="#000000"
face="Verdana"><font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2" color="#000000"
face="Verdana"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
I hear a lot of talk from many corners of the world these days
expressing hope that an Obama administration in the USA would lead to
an end to ICANN's connection to the US Government by the JPA, something
ICANN seems to want, in order to further some of its broader goals.
As a US citizen and taxpayer, I could support the dropping of a JPA
type understanding ONLY if replaced by the understanding that whenever
ICANN pulls away from any US authority, it is also pulling away fully
from any US Support, visible or not, real or implied, political or
financial. <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ICANN, as a truly private company, would then
be
free to pursue whatever the market would bear as a competitive entity
with anyone else in the world with the same dreams and ambitions. With
a number of root systems around the world today and the many that would
pop up if the internet were set free from today's ICANN choke-hold,
fees and roadblocks to join the ICANN root would either drop or ICANN
would be marginalized as the NetSol of the TLD world, an overpriced and
not so unreplaceable dinosaur. On the other hand, were they to actually
compete as a real business and perform like one, they would silence
many of their critics, even me, and the internet would be a vibrant and
growing entity.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In order to keep such an entity from
chaos,
however, there must be someone prepared to assume the work and
responsibility for coordinating all the world's TLDs so as to prevent
or fairly deal with collision. The TLDA is set and ready to do just
that for little or no fee to anyone and without favors owed to special
interest groups like WIPO or gobernments. Using purely technical
standards and a tightly enforced FCFS (first come - first served)
regimen as drafted long ago by Joe Baptista, the TLDA would simply look
at facts and judge by them. With no room for gray areas, there will be
no darkness to hide in and the internet will finally be "transparent
and open". as we all keep repeating like a mantra we will never realize
under the ICANN of today.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So, YES, let ICANN free from
the US
umbilical chord. Let it sink or swim on its own! The world is ready to
make the internet work just fine without the helping hand that never
lets go. The TLDA is ready to assure it happens fairly and openly to
and for all.&nbsp; (see www.tldainc,org) Come and join the TLDA public
discussion list if you want to learn more. (public@xxxxxxxxxxx)<br><br>-Karl E.