[ga] Re: [At-Large] My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ALAC <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, At-Large Staff <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kieren McCarthy <kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Save Vocea <save.vocea@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:04:18 -0800

Dr. Joe and all,

  Well I don't know if $6.00/year is the right amount or even accurate,
but it surely true, and already proven that what ICANN wants in terms
of a yearly fee, is FAR too much.  That was my main point.

  As to your other point regarding China's national TLD system,
I am very aware that in comparison to ICANN/Legacy Root structure,
it is far better managed, and at far less cost than what ICANN
seems to be desiring.  But I don't have any firm and confirmable
numbers.

  Introducing new gTLD's and IDN's by ICANN certainly recognizes
that in the not too distant past that ICANN than was wrong, and that
new gTLD demand is great, although it remains uncertain that such
demand can or will be recognized, ergo financially sustainable.  But
given what ICANN is asking for in terms of $$ in maintanance in the
Legacy Root, I have to wonder how long will any new introduced
TLD remain financially viable?  And than ask, how long will it take
for other alternitive and potentially inclusive root structures become
market and financially viable?  I don't have an answer to either
question that I would be willing to bank on.

  What is nearly certain in the current credit crunch and global
financial
crisis, new gTLD's and IDN's will be fewer than if neither situation was

in effect.  Yet allot of private funds are avaliable as I get offers for

huge amounts of money for any venture I might desire to start at very
low interest ( 3.5 - 1.7% ) and very reasonable repayment and
restructure
out terms as well.  Problem with this is for non-profit based gTLD's and

IDN's such loans and avaliable venture capital, are nearly
useless/wothless,
unless such a venture is a strictly membership based and partly funded
organization with the registrants picking up most of the rest of the
costs,
in terms of a gTLD or IDN.