[ga] Re: [At-Large] FW: My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN

  • To: At-Large Worldwide <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kieren McCarthy <kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] FW: My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:52:58 -0800

Siva and all,

  No a TLD is not the only or even necessarily the best solution,
but that wasn't the larger point Vittorio was making or appeared
to be making.

  What is fare more important the the process by which TLD's
are created and added into the legacy root, and the cost's ICANN
is desiring or claiming are necessary for same.

  Seems to me, as well as Vittorio and others that ICANN is trying to
price out much of the potential pent up demand for new TLD's.  That
is another arbitrary form of Restraint of Trade, not to mention a potential
violation of US constitutional law under the 1st amendment it one excepts
that a TLD, a mere string of characters and a representation of a vurtural
address or set of addresses accordingly in the DNS hiarchial structure.
And all this manipulating in the interest assuming a protection role of
certain IP special interests groups...

  Not a good history for ICANN, and a very bad example of good
governance.  And those responsible shall go down in history in
infamy.

  But I worry nor fear, for change has begun anew.  A new dawn
has begun.