[ga] Re: [At-Large] My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN

  • To: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] My comments on new gTLDs and the role of ICANN
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 19:19:27 -0500

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Jeffrey A. Williams
<jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> You should be able to manage your own gTLD for far less than
> $185k and $75k/year in fees to ICANN for presence in the legacy
> Roots.

In real technical terms you should be able to manage your TLD for about
$6.00 per year.  Thats the best cost estimate I can provide.  It is the same
cost estimate for .com.  Let us not forget that the root is only another
domain system - it just happens to be at the top level.  The principle is no
different then .com.

But ICANN is a bullshit system that depends on user ignorance to be
exclusive and monopolistic - which it no longer is.  The ICANN root is now
dwarfed by the chinese national tld system.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista