Re: [ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] Open Letter on ICANN Non-Openness

  • To: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] Open Letter on ICANN Non-Openness
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:09:00 -0700

Ross Rader wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing a calendar list of all of these sorts of things that ICANN supports with funding.

ICANN's accounting systems are not well suited to handle this kind of reporting. And even if they were, apparently there have been periodic changes that would make it difficult, perhaps impossible, to do year-to-year comparisons.

The Westlake report made as part of the at large review mentioned this weakness.

And people still wonder why, when I was a board member, I wanted to look at the raw general ledger and had to fight for 18 months to get that look.

What was surprising was that, after ICANN's tooth and nail resistance, there was really nothing to hide. There were the normal routine kinds of accounting weakness - vague chart of accounts, expenses without receipts, etc - but nothing that wasn't forgivable and typical of an organization then only a couple of years old. What is surprising is how long it is taking ICANN to redress this weakness.

I have been told that ICANN *is* instituting a new cost accounting process. We can hope that it is better and lasts long enough to provide year-to-year reports and that its chart of accounts is precise enough (and that it is honored enough) so that similar costs are always recorded in the same way.

As I mentioned the other day during the phone conference with the NARALO folks, there is some sympathy with the idea of making funds available directly to the edge communities for them to use in ways that they feel best fit their needs. However, as I suggested, there is concern that those edge communities establish adequate controls and accounting to assure that the money is used within the scope in which it is given. Notice that I said that the establishment of those controls would be instituted by the edge communities - I intend that to be a *big* nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

                --karl--