RE: [ga] Domain Tasting is Dead

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Domain Tasting is Dead
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:59:04 +0200

George,

Ok, the board approved adopting of the GNSO policy recommendation on
tasting in principle, but it still requires considering an input of the
consequent comment and notice periods, which will most likely lead to an
additional approval.

There is still another approach considering the Operating Plan and
Budget regarding the registration fees, which is not approved yet

"Whereas, the Board is also considering the Proposed FY 09 Operating
Plan and Budget, which includes (at the encouragement of the GNSO
Council) a proposal similar to the GNSO policy recommendation to expand
the applicability of the ICANN transaction fee in order to limit domain
tasting."

It is not clear for me how both the approaches will affect each other
and will contribute to the final solution. That is why the tasters could
be waiting for.

As regards the current tasting ratio, if tasters would be milking every
last free name then the ratio would be more or less the same as in the
past as long as the fees go into effect (and also the proposed 10% AGP
cap limit). As this is not the case, another explanation must probably
exist. In addition to that mentioned in my last post, I would also guess
the tasting paradigm is being slightly shifted and is adapting to the
new situation, which requires some time. However, it is also possible
that some desisted from the tasting activity altogether.

Dominik