[ga] [Fwd: RE: [governance] IGF workshop: Internet for All (v 2.0)]

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: RE: [governance] IGF workshop: Internet for All (v 2.0)]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:53:13 -0700

All,

  FYI, and of course for those that have been paying close
attention Koven and Milton are unfortunately or fortunately,
depending on your political bent, correct.  Koven in particular
as far as the facts are concerned did a good job in articulating
in brief, in correctly outlining what ICANN's direction and
to a degree, dilemma is.

  Everybody got some of what they wanted, but no one got everything
of all of what they wanted/needed in respect to the gTLD and IDN gTLD
decision by ICANN.  Of course much of that decision by ICANN will
need flushing out in detail in the coming months.  What will be
interesting
is to what degree colisions will exist and what "Social Values" of whom
will be impacted vis a vi gTLD's and especially IDN gTLD's.  Ergo,
it is likely that .XXX will be re-approved and the "Social Values"
Social scientests will have something to debate and argue about for
years to come.

  My take is that .XXX for instance will be moved offshore so that
USG influence will be limited, and congress will commence to pass
legislation to mitigate or limit access and under what conditions
access and registration will be allowed as well as determin criminality
of accessing Domain Names in .XXX amongsts other gTLD's and
IDN gTLD's.  China will than not be the only country with a "Great
Firewall".