Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GoDaddy VP Caught Bidding Against Customers
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

Re:  So, of course, the solution is to invite even more looters to the party,
right Danny?

The solution is draft better contracts and to rigorously enforce those
contracts.

With that said, the published proposed amendments to the RAA are wholly
inadequate as (1) they fail to deal with all the primary concerns raised during
the RegisterFly meltdown and (2) they fail to tighten up language in key
clauses such as 3.7.8.  ...but I'll post my comments on this topic in detail to
the RAA Forum during the next month.

Enforcement is the primary concern.  We see, for example, that dotforce.com was
deaccredited on 11-14-2007 and yet they still display the ICANN accredited logo
 -- see
http://www.dotandco.net/ressources/icann_registrars/dates/deaccreditation.en+dotforce+deaccredited&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

We see that bestregistrar.com was also de-accredited and yet their Terms of
Service agreement still reads "BestRegistrar.com and CORE are accredited
registrars with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
("ICANN") under an agreement with ICANN ("ICANN Agreement")".

Trade Associations have a real problem disciplining their members.  By all
indications ICANN has become the guild manager of a registry/registrar trade
association.