[ga] A Proposal for ICANN - Will they Listen?

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] A Proposal for ICANN - Will they Listen?
  • From: "John Palmer" <jpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:55:41 -0500

Here is an idea:

If ICANN wanted to be fair about things, they could go a long way in cleaning
up their reputation with the whole internet community if they give a nod to the
Inclusive Namespace in the following way:

Make it a requirement that if you want to bid on a new TLD in the ICANN
system under the policy that was just approved, and if the TLD you are
bidding on is already operational in the Inclusive Namespace, that there be
a requirement that the bidder get the permission of the current TLD holder to
do this.

If I wanted to make a bid on .ABC, and if .ABC was already operational
in the Inclusive Namespace, then I would have to do a deal with the current
operator of .ABC, either buying him out or making him a partner.
This way, ICANN doesn't look like a thief and indeed would get a boost
in their reputation amongst a large part of the internet that doesn't like them
very much.

Now, that assumes that ICANN is interested in its reputation and in really
serving all of the community. If all they are doing is grabbing for money and
care about little else, then this proposal will fall on deaf ears.

I guess we can always hope, because at this point its all anyone has (other
than litigation, which I know for a fact is being planned as we speak - just
got off a two hour conference call with some folks regarding that).

John