RE: [ga] Domain Tasting Reopened for Public Comments

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <nhklein@xxxxxxx>, <carlos.souza@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Domain Tasting Reopened for Public Comments
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 12:31:23 +0200

Roberto,

They are those regularly contributing to the GA who are not addicted to
personal career, financial interests, benefits or false timid loyalty.
No, you have not missed anything. Neither a straw poll nor a common
decision has been, unfortunately, issued yet.

If they were they would be ignored much like all others in the past.
That is the main reason why many formerly active contributors are
feeling frustrated and are not willing to participate on the game played
on the public.

By the way, the only official relevant straw poll results gathered so
far at GNSO having gained a majority (110 votes, 64%) votes in favour of
the AGP elimination have been similarly brushed away, not worth
mentioning in the Final Report. Do you really think you would be
interested in a straw poll conducted on the GA?

I just want ICANN to be honest and say it in fact prefers the top-down
instead of the bottom-up. And, that public input can be prospectively
considered at sole discretion of the staff and the board. Get rid of all
those core values related to it and that's it. It would be clear and
fair. I would accept it. I would say ok, bye-bye, and would leave ICANN
definitely. But please do not play (I mean all ICANN staffers here) that
transparent game on us. It is already embarrassing.

ICANN needs self-confident people in constituencies who are not
frightened and scared of expressing and standing for their own opinions.
Do not mistake compromise for backdown. A compromise is made as a result
of proper deliberation on reasonable and valid arguments presented by
constituencies and public input on equal basis. How can we be
deliberating on something that was excluded from discussion from the
very beginning?

Roberto, you are at the second highest position at ICANN. Get involved
in the increase of the public participation if, of course, you find it
important. ICANN has been at crossroad for some past years; either it
will follow the existing hidden top-down model or try making it an open
organization with influential public participation. You can influence
it.

Dominik