Re: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments

  • To: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
  • From: jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:37:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3268" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<P>Karl and all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; I personally agree with what you in great detail outline below.&nbsp;
It goes</P>
<P>to the old adage, "Waste not, want not".&nbsp; But to the registrar their
is</P>
<P>a financial aspect which you also mention in brief below that drives
their</P>
<P>business.&nbsp; I have no problem with that at all.&nbsp; However one should
balance</P>
<P>the financial plus against the public good, Internet stability, and
usefulness</P>
<P>of wasted and than damaged previously tasted domain names in any</P>
<P>name space.&nbsp; As such, the AGP doesn't need to be eliminated, only it</P>
<P>needs to be programatically changed to eliminate Tasters, front runners,</P>
<P>ect.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; Of course Domain Name hording by registrars or registries plays</P>
<P>into this gamesmanship as well, as auctioning those domain names</P>
<P>as if they were property, which ICANN has deemed some time back, they</P>
<P>are not is a significant factor in why Tasters do what they do, and why</P>
<P>registrars or registries park/hoard Domain Names.&nbsp; Tasters use
tasting</P>
<P>as&nbsp;a means to justify their longer term ends and take a risk that is
now</P>
<P>minimal to do so, while honest/ligitimate registrants seek to build a</P>
<P>presence at an ever increasing cost partly due to Tasters and Domain </P>
<P>name hoarders whom are also tasters such as it seems NSOL was engaged</P>
<P>in and will profit from at the expense of ligitimate registrants.&nbsp; Such
IMO is not</P>
<P>in the best interest of the public good.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Regards,<BR><BR>Jeffrey A. Williams<BR>Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over
277k members/stakeholders strong!)<BR>"Obedience of the law is the greatest
freedom" -<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Abraham Lincoln<BR><BR>"Credit should go with the
performance of duty and not with what is very<BR>often the accident of glory" -
Theodore Roosevelt<BR><BR>"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and
the burden, B; liability<BR>depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied
by<BR>P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."<BR>United States v. Carroll
Towing&nbsp; (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir.
1947]<BR>===============================================================<BR>Updated
 1/26/04<BR>CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
div. of<BR>Information Network Eng.&nbsp; INEG. INC.<BR>ABA member in good
standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Phone:
214-244-4827<BR><BR><BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff
2px solid">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Karl Peters - TLDA
<TLDA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><BR>Sent: Mar 24, 2008 8:33 PM <BR>To:
ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <BR>Subject: Re[2]: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
<BR><BR><ZZZHTML><ZZZHEAD><ZZZMETA content="text/html; charset=utf-8"
http-equiv="Content-Type"><ZZZMETA content="text/css"
http-equiv="Content-Style-Type">
<STYLE type=text/css><ZZZ!--
body {
  margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
  background-color: #ffffff;
}
/* ========== Text Styles ========== */
hr { color: #000000}
body, table /* Normal text */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 font-style: normal;
 font-weight: normal;
 color: #000000;
 text-decoration: none;
}
span.rvts1 /* Heading */
{
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #0000ff;
}
span.rvts2 /* Subheading */
{
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #000080;
}
span.rvts3 /* Keywords */
{
 font-style: italic;
 color: #800000;
}
a.rvts4, span.rvts4 /* Jump 1 */
{
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
a.rvts5, span.rvts5 /* Jump 2 */
{
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
/* ========== Para Styles ========== */
p,ul,ol /* Paragraph Style */
{
 text-align: left;
 text-indent: 0px;
 padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
 margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}
.rvps1 /* Centered */
{
 text-align: center;
}
--></STYLE>
</ZZZHEAD><ZZZBODY>
<P>Shane and Jeff, (and others)</P>
<P>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;The problem I see with this is not in the money
to registrars. (Though one might argue that they would make more&nbsp; money if
all those domains were continuously available to those who wanted to pay the
regular price for the registration and not the $295 I was offered for a .com I
had recently decided not to register for $8.99 and still did not want.) Too
many of these "tasters" are just playing the numbers at the end registrant's
great expense! The end users who might want to register that many domains
should have research departments to determine a much smaller number than a few
thousand domains from which to choose. They should&nbsp; just register them if
they think they will really need them. If not, why even play games with them? I
would argue it is not those big companies that make real use of this "tasting"
sham, but rather swindlers out for a fast buck with as little (or no!) downside
possible. Yes, one can argue that it is entrepreeurship. I would say otherwise,
because the person tasting never really bought or owned anything, not even the
registration of the name. These are not things to be owned, but rather
addresses registered to be used from the public trust, as administered by
registrars who owe all people an equal shot at any given domain registration at
a fair price. We should abolish the "tasting" scam and return to real business
where people take a real risk for their real reward and do not remove any
product from the market without having bought it first.</P>
<P>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Can anyone here point to a real company that
"tasted" a few hundred domain names, returning most of them after a few days,
so as to determine their usefulness to that company in actual use, not simply
in brokering their sale? I bet not! Let's not live in this dream world. Let's
get real and return the registry business to registrars and not hawks and
swindlers out for a fast buck without risk, that also gums up the market for
everyone else.</P>
<P><BR></P>
<P>-Karl E. Peters</P></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>